You may get a marriage license from the Bolton Town Office if one or both of the applicants are residents of Bolton. If one of you resides in Vermont but not in Bolton, you must get your license from the town of residence. If neither of you resides in Vermont, you may get your license from any town clerk in Vermont.
Licenses are only good for 60 days so plan getting your license no more than 60 days from your wedding date.
- Come the Bolton Town Office, 3045 Theodore Roosevelt Highway, Bolton. Allow approximately 15 minutes.
- Bring a filled out application form (see below).
- At least one of you needs to sign the final printed license in front of a town clerk.
- Fee: $60 for the license; $10 for a certified copy mailed to you after the wedding.
Application Form & Information:
- Getting Married in Vermont FAQ about getting married in Vermont
- Marriage License Application Form
- Information for Officiants Important information if your officiant is NOT a Vermont Justice of the Peace or recognized clergy person. Please note: temporary officiants (including family members, friends, out-of-state clergy, etc.) must obtain authorization to perform a marriage. See Getting Married in Vermont and Information for Officiants.
Certified Copy of Birth and Death Certificates
Effective July 1, 2019 all birth and death records are restricted to the person, relative, legal guardian, court appointed such as executor or administrator or petitioner for decedent’s estate or legal representative. An application for a certified copy of Vermont birth or death certificate for a certified copy of Vermont birth or death certificate must be filled out and identification presented.
Vermont birth and death certificates from any city or town may be obtained at any Vermont clerk’s office regardless of where the occurred (usually a hospital) or the city or town of residence. If a person is not on the list of approved applicants or has insufficient information, they may be referred to the Vermont Department of Health.
The following information MUST be provided in order to request a birth or death certificate: first name, last name, date of birth or death and the town in which the event occurred.
Certified Copy of a Marriage License
A copy of a marriage license may only be obtained in the town or city in that issued the license. An application is not required for a certified copy of a marriage license. However, we will need the name of one of the parties and the date of the marriage.
To Request a Certified Copy of a Vital Record
If you wish to request a certified copy of a vital record,
- Stop by the Bolton Town Office at 3045 Theodore Roosevelt Highway. You may bring a completed application for a certified copy of Vermont birth or death certificate with you or fill it out in the office. ID is required for birth and death certificates.
- Mail in the application for a certified copy of Vermont birth or death certificate with a copy of identification for a certified birth or death certificate or the names and dates for a copy of a marriage license, a check for the certified copies ($10.00 per copy made out to Town of Bolton) and a self-addressed stamped return envelope. Mail the request to: Town of Bolton, 3045 Theodore Roosevelt Highway, Bolton, VT.
Note: We do not accept electronic payments.