THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT BOLTON
Welcome to the Bolton, Vermont website.
The Town of Bolton is located in the western foothills of the Green Mountains, on the eastern edge of the Lake Champlain Valley. The Winooski River bisects the town from east to west, as does Interstate 89, the New England Central Railway and U.S. Route 2. Chartered in June 1763, Bolton is a small rural municipality that prides itself on many unique aspects: we are a tight-knit community with acres of forested land bisected by recreational trails, majestic ridgelines, rugged rocky outcrops, and valley-bottom cropland, all tucked in between working landscapes and our beloved Green Mountains.
ADMINISTRATIVE CALENDAR (Meeting Times)
PERMITS & ORDINANCES
- The Town has the following ordinances and policies in place:
- Zoning and Subdivision Regulations
- Flood Hazard Area Regulations Flood regulations have been incorporated into the Zoning Regulations.
- Animal Control
- Curb Cut (driveway access)
- Special Events
- Fireworks Display See Special Events.
- Burn Permits – Call to request a burning permit.
Mike Gervia, Fire Chief and Fire Warden
(802) 399-1412 or (802) 434-3968
- ALL construction requires a permit. Please contact the Zoning Administrator for information.
- See the Documents and Forms page for more information.
- Dogs must be licensed EVERY year by April 01.
- There is no regulation for cats.
- There is an Animal Control Ordinance, and violation tickets can be issued.
- See Vital Records for information on applying for copies of birth or death certificates or getting married in Vermont.
VOTING and TOWN MEETING
- See Town Meeting Minutes and Town Reports Town Meeting Minutes and Town Reports
- See Voter Information to register to vote, election information, districts, and representatives.
TRASH & RECYCLING
- Bolton belongs to the Chittenden Solid Waste District and has access to the CSWD drop-off stations in Williston and elsewhere in Chittenden County, and the Casella Waste drop off station in Richmond.
- Bolton is part of the Mount Mansfield Unified Union School District.
- MMUUSD provides school choice, although generally, Bolton Preschool through Grade 4 students attend Smilie Memorial Elementary School, 2712 Theodore Roosevelt Highway (Rt. 2), (802) 434-2757.
- MMUUSD provides school choice, although generally, Bolton Grade 5 through 8 students attend Camels Hump Middle School in Richmond, (802) 434-2188.
- Bolton Grade 9 through 12 students attend Mount Mansfield Union High School in Jericho, (802) 899-4690.
- Further information may be obtained by calling the MMUUSD central office at (802) 434-2128.
- School cancellations due to weather are announced on the radio, local television stations, the MMUUSD website, and through MMUUSD’s notification system.
- See Tax Information for tax policies, delinquent tax sales and documents related to taxes.
- 2022 Grand List
- The Town Office is open Monday through Thursday from 8 am to 4 pm.
- The Town Office phone numbers is (802) 434-5075.
- The Town Office Fax number is (802) 434-6404 .
- The Town Clerk’s email address is email@example.com
- The Town Website is www.boltonvt.org
- Town Garage (802) 434-3968
- Bolton Fire Department (802) 434-3968
- Fire Chief & Warden for burn permits, BVFD Chief Mike Gervia
- Current Town of Bolton Boards and Commissions:
- Chartered June 29, 1763
- Size: 26,752 acres
- Population: 1,301 as of 2020 census
- Density: 30.6 people per square mile
- Altitude: 342 above sea level
- Bolton has 20.59 miles of town highways