Town of Bolton
3045 Theodore Roosevelt Highway
Meeting called to order at 6:10 p.m.
Planning Commission members present: Linda Baker, Jim Bralich (6:40 p.m.), Steve Barner, Rodney Pingree
Planning Commission members absent: Chris Haggerty
MPG Advisory Committee members present: Jen Andrews, Joss Besse, John Devine, Jerry Mullen, Margot Pender, Dick Ward
MPG Advisory Committee members absent: Rob Heimbuch
1. Review input from SB, BVFD Chief, Road Foreman, re: dead end roads.
2. Revisit: Slopes, current VII District
3. Minutes September 20, 2004
4. Other communications/mail
5. Any other business
Agenda Item #1 - Review input from SB, BVFD Chief, Road Foreman, re: dead end roads.
Amy noted that the Select Board would defer to the committee’s recommendations regarding this issue, that Eric (Road Foreman) was away on vacation, and that she had not received any input from the BVFD Chief. After brief discussion, the committee decided that the draft language prohibiting dead ends roads in excess of 1800’ would currently stand.
The group reviewed the new drafts for Table 2.2, RV District and RR District (the new draft of Table 2.2 is on file with these minutes at the Town Clerk’s office), and reviewed the “Jackson-Gore Recreational District” document provided by Larry. Discussion included:
· Conditional Use: Ski facilities stay in conditional use.
Sharon noted that ski facilities are a conditional use in the towns of Stowe, Fayston, Warren, and Ludlow, and that everything at Bolton Valley would require a new or amended ACT 250 permit. Steve noted that conditional use is a different level, different type of review, an allowed use, which permits the DRB to review use and place conditions. Dick added that conditional use invites your neighbors on the local level, ACT 250 does not.
Larry and Bob noted/suggested that:
· Allowances are made for minor changes, i.e. exempt modifications of existing trails, and allow the ZA to be the arbitrator in calling a project minor.
· Accomplish minor projects without tying up either party (Town and BV/Redstone).
· Summer projects such as widening a trial or moving snowmaking pipe would have to go through Town review and ACT 250, lengthening the permitting process. If the Town approval preceded ACT 250, then the Town would need an engineer’s review of every small project.
· Cost and time of duplicitous reviews a concern.
· The town is tying the resort’s hands in pursuing success.
· Have conditional use only apply to ski facilities when ACT 250 does not apply.
· Give conditional use approval based on ACT 250 review/approval, defer to ANR approval.
The group further discussed the differing opinions regarding changes to ski facilities, and concerns noted from the MPG committee included:
· Discerning what level of upgrade would warrant review.
· Where to draw the proverbial line.
Sharon noted that it is up to the Town to decide what level of review (they) want. After lengthy discussion, Linda called for a straw vote to add language to the document, which would allow for minor changes. The majority was in favor of adding language under decisions: can allow minor changes to an approved use with administrative review. Sharon will draft and add the language to the document.
The group further discussed Table 2.2, noting the following:
· Provide definitions for “Convention Facility” and “Events Facility.”
· Maximum Multi-Family Density remains @ 12 dwelling units/acre.
· Maximum Lodging Density remains @ 24 rooms/acre.
· Maximum Height, increase from 40 to 50 feet.
· Delete the last sentence under (A) Purpose, as it is limited by the boundaries of districts.
· Minimum Lot Area, increase from 1 to 2 acres.
· Maximum Multi-Family Density, decrease to 3 dwelling units/acre from 6.
· Leave Maximum Lodging Density as is @ 12 rooms/acre.
· Leave Maximum Height @ 35 feet, as there are provisions for height waiver.
The group reviewed the draft map of the proposed VII, RV, and RR Districts. After discussion, the group agreed to move the boundary line of the V II district currently on Bob’s lot line, north to the east branch of Joiner Brook, following the brook until it intersects with Bob’s lot line. Along the Bolton Valley Access Road, the 10-acre RII District will stand.
The group briefly discussed slopes, and that the current draft language would stand until further input from the public hearing process.
It was noted that after a lengthy nearly 2 year process, the drafting and review of the document was completed, and that the PC would move the public hearing process forward by holding their hearing in early December.
Agenda Item #2– Minutes September 20, 2004
Amy will forward the final map draft change to Pam @ CCRPC, and arrange for maps to be printed for both the Town Plan and Land Use regulations.
The next scheduled meeting of the PC will be Monday November 1, 2004 6 p.m. at Smilie School. The PC will draft needed reports for the public hearing process.
The meeting adjourned at 9:15 p.m.
These minutes are unofficial until accepted.
__________________________ , 2004. _______________________________
Linda Baker, Chair