Town of Bolton

3045 Theodore Roosevelt Highway

Bolton VT 05676

802-434-5075

 

Planning Commission/MPG Advisory Committee Minutes

 

September 14, 2004

 

Meeting called to order at 6:20 p.m.

 

Planning Commission members present:  Linda Baker, Jim Bralich (6:40 p.m.), Steve Barner

 

Planning Commission members absent: Chris Haggerty, Rodney Pingree

 

MPG Advisory Committee members present: Jen Andrews, Joss Besse, Margot Pender

 

MPG Advisory Committee members absent:  Rob Heimbuch, Gerry Mullen, Dick Ward

 

Clerk: Amy Grover

 

Also present: Sharon Murray Burnt Rock, Inc., Bob Fries, Bolton Valley Resort, Larry Williams, Redstone

 

 

Agenda

1.       Continue to review draft of proposed regulations.

2.       Minutes August 24, 2004

3.       Other communications/mail

4.       Any other business

5.       Adjournment

 

 

Agenda Item #1 – Discussion/Review Zoning Regulation Draft

The group began reviewing the three-page punch list of items needing the guidance and input of Sharon. (That list is on file with these minutes at the Town Clerk’s office.)

·       Table 2.2 Village II District.  Revisit.

·       Table 2.5 Forest District; add “yurts and saunas with no plumbing.”

·       Table 2.7 AG Overlay District.  Revisit, no map.

·       Page 3.5, line 14, add “ski lift tower/facility.”

·       Page 3.7, lines 52 and 53, Larry and Linda checking on watts and lumens.

·       Page 3.8, lines 48 – 53.  Junk vehicles. Amy to get ordinance and cross check.

·       Page 3.11, line 23.  Keep decibel level at 60, Sharon to draft language re: short term, pre-existing, general maintenance.

·       Page 4.1, line 19 and 20.  add “owner or the family of the owner.”

·       Page 4.9, lines 48 – 49, not too limiting because of the language; “and related products.”

·       Page 4.21, line, 32, typo, “town” should read “tower.”

·       Page 4.22.  Bob to provide information on what permit and how much it costs for the wedding tent.  Sharon, clarifying language seasonal uses, not a permit every year for the same use.  Amy to review “Special Events Ordinance.”

·       Page 6.2; change to “within 45 days of the meeting.” Do not allow for extending the 180 days by the ZA.

·       Page 6.4, Statute - to provide notification by certified mail or a “service list.” Applicant’s responsibility.

·       Page 6.8 line 4, add, “to ensure completion of and cover the costs of improvements specified by the DRB…” It was noted guidelines for the DRB regarding the amount of a bond: to cover the costs of construction/improvements, which should be noted on the zoning application.  Larry noted that other towns reduce the bonding requirement as construction proceeds.

·       Page 7.4, line 34, “adequate” allows for differing habitat needs vs. becoming more specific.

·       Page 7.8, line 41 – leave as is to promote connectivity, 2nd way of egress, access for emergency vehicles.  Larry noted that there are not a lot of connectivity opportunities at BV.

·       Page 7.9, line 7.  Revisit prohibiting dead end roads in excess of 1800’ (1/4 + mile).  Obtain input from SB, Road Foreman, Fire Chief.  Larry noted that would be an incredible limit to BV.

·       Page 7.10, line 19 “submission of letters” refers to Smilie Principal, CESU Superintendent, BVFD, Fire District, and Road Commissioner.  Remains applicant’s responsibility.

·       Page 9.4, line 25, permit dates, leave as is.

·       Page 9.11, line 20, add establishing party status, interested person (statutory).

·       Pages 3.17 and 3.19, slopes.  Joss noted that his research indicated that the slope of the BV road above Baker’s house was 15 – 18 %, and the steepest part of Notch road was 25%.  Slope recommendations in the document draft come from NRCS, the Natural Resource Conservation Service.  Larry noted that the current slope percentages are an issue for Redstone.  Linda took a straw vote; to increase the prohibited slope percent from 25% to 30%.  The straw vote was 4 to 2 in favor of the change.  Jen noted the need to carefully consider the recommendations by NRCS, and the research that supports those recommendations.  Linda will contact Stratton PC for information.

 

Agenda Item #2– Minutes August 24, 2004

Jim Bralich made the motion to accept the minutes of August 24, 2004.  Steve Barner seconded the motion.  All were in favor.

 

Agenda Item #4– Other communications/mail

None

 

Agenda Item #5 – Any other business

The committee reviewed the hearing schedule that would allow for a March 1, 2005 (Town Meeting) vote.  As the Select Board has not given the group a definitive answer regarding their consensus on how to proceed with the adoption process, the PC must hold their hearing by early November at the latest, and schedule several fall meetings to finish reviewing and drafting changes to the document.

 

Linda made the motion to recommend applying for the FY 2005 Municipal Planning Grant to update the Bolton Town Plan.  Steve seconded the motion.  All were in favor. The PC quorum signed off on the grant application.

 

Margot asked that time be made during the next meeting for a representative from CCRPC to attend and receive input regarding the new regional plan.  The committee noted the bad timing and the need to focus on the job of reviewing the draft and being finished by early November.  A short discussion noted that the plan has general, not specific elements, and to forward these comments to CCRPC:

·       Transportation element expanded – trains, I89, and a bike lane along RT 2.

·       Housing allocation formula – impact on Bolton.

 

The next scheduled meeting of the MPG Advisory Committee will be Monday, September 20, 2004, 6-9 p.m. at Smilie School.

 

Agenda Item #6 – Adjournment

The meeting adjourned at 9:25 p.m.

 

Amy Grover

Clerk, Planning Commission

These minutes are unofficial until accepted.

 

These minutes were read and accepted by the Planning Commission on

 

__________________________ , 2004.             _______________________________

                                                                             Linda Baker, Chair