Town of Bolton

3045 Theodore Roosevelt Highway

Bolton VT 05676

802-434-5075

 

Planning Commission/MPG Advisory Committee Minutes

 

July 13, 2004

 

Meeting called to order at 5:35 p.m.

 

Planning Commission members present:  Linda Baker, Jim Bralich (6:40 p.m.), Steve Barner (6:10 p.m.), Rodney Pingree

 

Planning Commission members absent: Chris Haggerty

 

MPG Advisory Committee members present: Jen Andrews, Joss Besse, John Devine, Jerry Mullen, Margot Pender

 

MPG Advisory Committee members absent:  Rob Heimbuch, Dick Ward

 

Clerk: Amy Grover

 

Also present: Sharon Murray Burnt Rock, Inc., Bob Fries, Bolton Valley Resort

 

 

Agenda

1.       Review draft of proposed regulations with an emphasis on Article II Zoning Districts.

2.       Minutes May 4, 2004, June 8, 2004

3.       Other communications/mail

4.       Any other business

5.       Adjournment

 

 

Agenda Item #1 – Discussion/Review Zoning Regulation Draft

The committee reviewed their proposed zoning district map in relation to the zoning district map proposed by the SE Group for Redstone.  District boundaries, dimensional requirements, and build out summaries were reviewed and discussed at length. It was noted that Redstone’s proposal included a higher density core, the “RV District” surrounded by a “RRI” district, less dense than the core.  Differences in the two proposed maps were discussed intensively.  Comments, issues, challenges and concerns included the following:

General

·       Whether the committee is willing to start making changes to the plan at this point in the process.

·       Bob Fries noted that no building can be done in the current VII District until the  over allocated sewage system is expanded.

·       Redstone would like to replace current surface water supplies with drilled wells.

·       Bob Fries noted that Redstone is close to selling a 1,000acre parcel (to the south of Timberline), which would largely be conserved, with one building lot.

·       There are problems locating some of SE Group’s district boundaries on the ground.

·       Lodging density is not included in Redstone’s proposal.

·       Statutes do not specify density bonuses.

·       Minimum lot size defines the yield density.

·       Remove wetlands, stream buffers, and slopes unsuitable for building from density calculations?  The committee came to the consensus that defining undevelopable land, etc. would be a horrendous process, and that all acreage will be included in density calculations.

·       Consider overlay of fluvial district for (at least) the Joiner Brook drainage.  Explore the possibility of a grant to accomplish this undertaking.

 

VII District

·       Bob Fries noted his concern of precluding single residential development in the VII district, adding that he envisioned some low-density single-family development in the flatter terrain to the left of lift #1.

·       Allow for minimal development within the SPA, east and west branches of Joiner Brook?

·       Increase minimum lot size from 1 to 2 acres?

 

“RV” District

·       Consider core area density = ½ acre with 12 units/acre for multifamily.

·       Create a smaller “RV” district, cutting off the “toe of the boot.”  Follow the contour line to the north of Thacher Road to the boundary.  Bob noted that change would be acceptable to him.

 

 

Redstone’s proposed “RRII” District

·       Redstone’s proposed “RRII” district (to the west of Joiner Brook) is an enormous area (approximately 400 acres), which with Redstone’s proposed 2 acre zoning would open up large amounts of acreage for development creating water retention issues/flood hazards, soil/erosion issues. 

·       Bob noted that his understanding was Redstone’s vision for this area was a limited number of high end homes intermingled within the cross-country trail network.

·       Margot noted that under the current draft proposed by the committee the area is in the “Forest District” which would allow for 16 homes to be built.

·       Consider changing the “RRII” minimum lot size from 2 to 10 acres = 40 units, and change the committee’s proposed ARII District along the access road to the Forest District.  Build out including the Forest, “RV”, and “RRII” would then be approximately 600 units.  The committee came to the consensus that this was not a viable option as issues previously noted (first bullet) would remain.

 

Following intensive discussion, several motions were made and rescinded by members of the committee.

 

Gerry made a motion to keep the proposed (by the MPG Committee) “VII District” area intact, except for such area as designated as a denser core, “RV District,” and expansion of the VII boundary to the north, following the 2300’ contour line, until the boundary of Bob Fries’ property, or the east branch of Joiner Brook, whichever comes first.

Jen seconded the motion.  All were in favor, motion carried.

 

Joss made the motion to leave Redstone’s proposed “RR2 District” as the “Forest District.”  Gerry seconded the motion.  All were in favor, motion carried.

 

Amy will contact RPC to draft a map including the acreages of the “RV” and “VII” districts as newly defined.

 

Sharon will draft tables – uses/densities for the “RV” and “VII” districts for the July 20, 2004 meeting.

 

Agenda Item #2– Minutes May 4, 2004, June 8, 2004

Tabled until the July 20th meeting.

 

Agenda Item #4– Other communications/mail

The committee noted that municipal planning grant applications for FY 2005 had been received.

 

Agenda Item #5 – Any other business

The committee reached a consensus that keeping to a hearing schedule that would allow for a November 2, 2004 by the Town was unattainable.  Constraints include sufficient time to: finish the conversation with Bolton Valley/Redstone, fully complete the review of the draft document and make any needed revisions, allow CCRPC to make any needed changes to the draft map.

 

The next scheduled meeting of the MPG Advisory Committee will be Tuesday, July 20, 2004, 5 – 10 p.m. at Smilie School. Dinner will be provided.

 

Agenda Item #6 – Adjournment

The meeting adjourned at 9:25 p.m.

 

Amy Grover

Clerk, Planning Commission

These minutes are unofficial until accepted.

 

These minutes were read and accepted by the Planning Commission on

 

__________________________ , 2004.             _______________________________

                                                                             Linda Baker, Chair